Tuesday, May 3, 2011

There's a leaf in my purse...

I realize it’s been more than a month (but only by one day!) since I posted last. I had a lot of wonderful, deep thoughts that I thought about posting, but the time kept slipping through my fingers, across my calendar, and into the past. I was going to write a post called “I hate this story” about the darkness we experience through Lent, but how, even though it hurts in a real and visceral way, it’s ultimately healthy for our spiritual growth. Maybe next year…

Today I am frustrated by my desk. I have so many things that are crying out from my to-do list, helpfully located on a sticky note on my desk in front of my computer. I would love to mark at least one of them out, but so many are waiting for the response of another person or just plain inspiration. And then there are the piles on my desk. Bibles are balancing on curriculum on top of information packets, with a nametag from camp last summer hanging out – and that’s just one pile. My materials for Annual Conference arrived today, so that’s on top, for the moment, of mission trip registrations and VBS training material.

It’s bordering on ridiculous. During staff meeting, I was reminded to turn in all my receipts for April, so when I got back to my desk, I grabbed my purse to start fishing out receipts and figuring out if this was spent for me or for the church. Which is when I found the leaf…

…it was a perfect, brown little leaf. Since it is now spring, I really have no idea how long it has been at the bottom of my purse. Despite its dryness, it was not broken or even cracked. I laughed out loud. How bizarre! Why on earth was there a leaf in my purse?

Thank you, God, for giving me laughter in the midst of the tidal wave of everyday life. When I feel overwhelmed by it all, not sure where to start, you remind me that there is beauty in the simple and ordinary. And I remember how grateful I was to see my youth playing on Sunday night. I thought our evening had been ruined since we were having to go to the back up plan – playing in the gym – rather than going to the awesome Denton Arts & Jazz Festival. I was sure there would be no one there and that we would all be bummed, disappointed.

Instead, I got to see high school guys play basketball with middle school girls, the football player carefully guarding the 5′ 6th grader. Laughter rang out as youth and adults played cards and someone went out. Ping pong balls were batted around. Pizza was offered, although not quite enough, but it all was overlaid by grace. Because we love each other, there is joy. Glory be! Now, on to that to-do list…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation!